- Upright perennial, thick taproot and broad, oblong serrated leaves.
- Bears tiny white flowers in terminal racemes in early summer.
- Mustard family.
- Plant it in a sinked basin in the ground – difficult to eradicate when established because bits of root left in the ground grow into new plants.
- Full sun/ partial shade.
- Grate taproot using a food processor to prevent your eyes watering.
- Discard central core, grate only the amount needed.
- H/R sauce made with milk or oil and vinegar - traditional condiment for roast beef, smoked fish, asparagus.
- H/R cream: Fold into whipped cream, yogurt or sour cream and season with salt, sugar and a little vinegar.
- Don't grate until just before serving or it will loose it's flavor.
- Serve with ham, on baked potatoes or cold meats.
- Add grated H/R to coleslaw, dips, sauces, pickled beets, cream cheese, mayonnaise and avocado filling.
- Blended with butter and chilled – an alternative to garlic butter to accompany grilled steak.
- Crushed young leaves have a mild pleasant flavour - add to salads and sandwiches.
- Use older leaves in sauces and curries.
Medicinal Uses. It is said that:
- Roots - lifted autumn. Store in damp sand. Wrap in paper bag - stay fresh for about 2 weeks in fridge.
- Freeze grated root in polythene bags, use as required.
- Grate into white vinegar (red wine or cider vinegar discolors the root).
- Richer in Vitamin C than lemon/orange.
- High levels of sulphur, potassium.
- Digestive, diuretic, controls bacterial infections.
- Sciatica, urinary infections, respiratory and circulatory stimulant, expectorant with antibiotic properties.
- Ointment with the root for arthritis sufferers.
- Immediate relief to blocked sinuses – snuff finely grinded root – start with a very small pinch.
- Not given to patients with kidney or thyroid problems, stomach ulcers.
- Avoid continuous large doses when pregnant or suffering from kidney problems.
- Root: Slice, infuse in milk - lotion to improve skin clarity.
- Express juice, mix with white vinegar - use to lighten freckles.
- Companion planting:
- Improves the disease resistance of potatoes.
- Root: Infuse, dilute 4 times and spray apple trees against brown rot.
- Leaves: infuse and spray against brown rot, mildew and fungi development on pumpkin, roses and bergamot.
- De-wormer for dogs, to improve body tone: Add ½ -1 tbs. grated horse radish to their food. / Leaf: Chop finely into dog food.