BERRY - PINEAPPLE GROUND CHERRY Scientific Name:
To order please contact usGet the latest pricelists here
- Eastern European cousin of the Mexican tomatillo.
- A short bushy spreading plant reaching a height of 30 – 45cm.
- Bears a small yellow ground cherry in a husk (the size of a cape gooseberry), with the sweet fruity flavor of a pineapple.
- Needs well-drained soil in full sun or light shade. pH 6 – 7.
- Will do well in pots.
- Frost tender - can be grown in most climates as an annual.
- Plants are susceptible to the same diseases as the tomato.
- Extremely easy to grow.
- Plant two near each other for good fruit production and germination.
- It needs a companion to produce fruit, just like tomatillos and other ground cherries
- Uses are similar to common tomato.
- Can be eaten raw, used in salads, desserts, as a flavoring, in jams and jellies.
- Fruits are excellent when dipped in chocolate, in preserves, hot dessert toppings or mock pineapple yoghourt.
- When dried in sugar, the fruit is excellent in fruit cakes, some cooks preferring them to raisins or figs.
Medicinal Uses. It is said that:
- When the fruit is ripe it drops to the ground.
- They are fine on the ground for a few days, as the husks keep them well protected.
- To harvest, lift the vines and rake the fruit together with your hand.
- The husks are not edible.
- Tomatillos are nutritious - they contain Vitamins A and C as well as niacin.
New! We also have several herbal products available including tinctures and dried herbs!
|The information contained within this website is for educational purposes only. This site merely recounts the traditional uses of specific plants as recorded through history. Always seek advice from a medical practitioner.|
Mountain Herb Estate, and its representatives will not be held responsible for the improper use of any plants or documentation provided. By use of this site and the information contained herein you agree to hold harmless Mountain Herb Estate, its affiliates and staff
We might be out of stock for this specific plant. Please contact us
for more information