FRUIT - PASSIONFLOWER YELLOW, QUAVADILLA, GRANADILLA Scientific Name:
Passiflora edulis FlavicarpaGet the latest pricelists here
- Guavadilla is the uniquely South African name for the yellow fruiting form of the common purple granadilla/passion fruit (Passiflora edulis).
- In other countries it is called Yellow Passion fruit and is it considered to have a superior flavor to the purple granadilla.
- Guavadilla is a woody perennial creeper (vine) that climbs with the aid of coiled tendrils – it has hairless lobed leaves and solitary flowers and bears round to oval fruit that can grow up to the size of a grapefruit.
- It needs full sun and a fence or support to grow on and it must be protected from winter frost.
- Replace the vines every 4-5 years. Water two times a week.
Medicinal Uses. It is said that:
- The fruit can be eaten fresh or its juice can be added to other fruit juices to enhance the aroma.
- To eat it fresh, allow the fruit to wrinkle for a few days to raise the sugar levels and enhance the flavor.
- It is used to flavor yogurt and soft drinks such as Schweppes Sparkling Granadilla and other cordial drinks.
- It is often eaten raw or used as a topping for cakes and tarts.
- The Guavadilla is used for juice processing, while the purple variety is sold in fresh fruit markets.
- Fresh granadilla’s nutritional content:
- Energy, Carbohydrates, Sugars, Dietary fiber, Fat, Protein, Vitamin A , B3, B9, C (ascorbic acid), Calcium, Iron, Magnesium, Phosphorus, Potassium, Zinc and Beta carotene.
- Good for people with High Blood pressure.
New! We also have several herbal products available including tinctures and dried herbs!
|The information contained within this website is for educational purposes only. This site merely recounts the traditional uses of specific plants as recorded through history. Always seek advice from a medical practitioner.|
Mountain Herb Estate, and its representatives will not be held responsible for the improper use of any plants or documentation provided. By use of this site and the information contained herein you agree to hold harmless Mountain Herb Estate, its affiliates and staff
We might be out of stock for this specific plant. Please contact us
for more information