VEGETABLE - SALAD GREENS, GRUMOLO VERDE, RADICCHIO Scientific Name:
Cichorium intybus speciesSeeds:
To order please contact usGet the latest pricelists here
- Grumolo Verde is a Mediterranean salad-green that is a very cold-hardy, non-forcing or ‘sugarloaf’ type of chicory with rounded leaves that matures into a lettuce-like head.
- It is a tap rooted perennial that is often sown as a ‘cut and come again’ salad leaf.
- Grumolo Verde prefers a sunny site, but will tolerate a little shade.
- Water thoroughly during dry weather to prevent bolting.
- It can be grown in containers or beds of loam-based compost and be spaced 23-30cm apart.
- Pick leaves as required, taking care not to over-harvest, as this weakens the plant.
- Alternatively, cut the whole head and leave the roots to re-sprout.
- Excellent in salads – mix with colors of red, green and white and add tomatoes and a sweet dressing.
Medicinal Uses. It is said that:
- The leaves and heads.
- Will stay fresh for up to 1 month in the fridge.
- Chicory is said to be digestive, diuretic, laxative and reducing inflammation.
- A liver and gall bladder tonic – used for rheumatism and gout.
- Rich in folate, flavonoids, vitamins and minerals, especially in vitamins A and K, and is high in fiber.
New! We also have several herbal products available including tinctures and dried herbs!
|The information contained within this website is for educational purposes only. This site merely recounts the traditional uses of specific plants as recorded through history. Always seek advice from a medical practitioner.|
Mountain Herb Estate, and its representatives will not be held responsible for the improper use of any plants or documentation provided. By use of this site and the information contained herein you agree to hold harmless Mountain Herb Estate, its affiliates and staff
We might be out of stock for this specific plant. Please contact us
for more information