LOVAGE Scientific Name:
To order please contact usGet the latest pricelists here
- Celery-scented perennial, fleshy roots, hollow stems.
- Aromatic toothed glossy leaves on long stems.
- Well-drained soil.
- Full sun/shade/partial shade.
- Cut back once/twice in summer for continuous supply of young leaves.
- Dies back in winter.
- Takes 3-5 yrs to mature.
- Can plant in a container
- Add strong meaty flavour to dishes.
- Soups/ casseroles/ use as a vegetable/ salad/ rub it on chicken before baking.
- Fresh/ dried leaves to stock, stews/ cheese.
- Dried leaves - strong flavour of yeast and celery - excellent infused as broth/ for seasoning.
- Brew a tea for its savoury taste.
- Dried leaf /seed - grounded and used as a celery salt.
- Called 'Maggi Herb' in Europe.
- Seeds has a warm celery flavour - crushed and added to bread/ pastries/ or sprinkled on salads, rice or mashed potato.
Medicinal Uses. It is said that:
- Pick young leaves, avoiding the central flower stem and the hollow main stems before flowering.
- Use fresh/dry/ freeze for later use.
- Roots of 2- or 3-year-old plants are dug in autumn, sliced and dried.
- Dried root retain their aroma.
- Benefit indigestion, colic, flatulence/ poor appetite.
- Aid respiratory system.
- Expectorant - treat bronchitis/ increase perspiration.
- Diuretic and antimicrobial: either the seed/leaf/root can be infused to reduce water retention and kidney stones.
- Aid rheumatism.
- Removal of waste products / for any urinary tract complaints.
- Encourages menstruation, relieves menstrual pain.
- Warming nature- improves poor circulation.
- Root - ingredient of urological/ cardiotonic medicine.
- In Middle Ages used as an 'odour-eater' - they lined their boots with the leaves
New! We also have several herbal products available including tinctures and dried herbs!
|The information contained within this website is for educational purposes only. This site merely recounts the traditional uses of specific plants as recorded through history. Always seek advice from a medical practitioner.|
Mountain Herb Estate, and its representatives will not be held responsible for the improper use of any plants or documentation provided. By use of this site and the information contained herein you agree to hold harmless Mountain Herb Estate, its affiliates and staff